This page is a diary of sorts, by our black belt team, regarding selected martial arts subjects.
Why Study Martial Arts? By Sifu Restita 2/5/22
People get into the martial arts for many reasons; Fitness, self defense, cultural aspects, self discipline, etc. Regardless of the reason, each reason is important to each individual. Here are my thoughts on some of the benefits of martial arts training:
1) Tenacity: Martial arts trains our minds to stick to things even though things might seem difficult. We train ourselves to push ourselves a bit beyond our comfort zone and to face our self-doubt with open minds.
2) Self discipline: Tenacity is a by-product of self discipline. We all feel a bit lazy sometimes, but martial arts teaches us to keep plugging along and to remember our goals and set ourselves to achieving those goals.
3) Self protection: All martial arts teach some type of self defense. It is up to each individual to find what type of fighting art suits them. In our style of Kajukenbo and Filipino Martial Arts, we focus on a no-nonsense approach to self protection, and how to think beyond the "kick and punch".....to think of how to secure our perimeter, to be aware of our surroundings and situations, to pay attention in public places, to realize that our bodies can indeed be weapons for self defense.
4) It is a great hobby: Even though some may not make it to black belt or become a teacher, its a great hobby and recreational activity. Many start out with martial arts being a hobby, then it grows into a lifestyle.
5) Fitness: Martial arts provides a great way to get in shape, learn new skills, enhance coordination and concentrations skills. A great fitness avenue for all ages.
6) Mental fortitude: Another by-product of self discipline. Mental fortitude is what gets us through our belt exams, gets us past the "I don't want to go to class today", and teaches us that we CAN be better today than yesterday if we put our minds to it.
------------------- These are just a few benefits....there are many more! Think of why you joined martial arts, and revisit your goals. Train hard and your goals will materialize.
- Sifu Restita DeJesus 2/5/22
Find us: 5423 California Ave. SW Seattle, WA 98136